Wednesday, May 02, 2007

I'm back

Quite a number of things have happened since my last post:

1. I've taken up French in addition to Swedish. Oh-la-la. French is offered by NST as part of our in-house training this year. It's free, so I figured why not?
2. I'm no longer doing those damn Tempo pages (thank you God, thank you Joan).
3. My iMac finally died a natural death after serving me for six years.
4. On a brighter note, Agnetha came into my life.





As you can see, Agnetha is not some Swedish girl with luscious blonde hair and long legs. Not a white block of tofu either. Agnetha is a laptop: a white Apple MacBook that I had been eyeing for a long time. My iMac's demise was somewhat expected; it had already developed a number of problems months earlier, namely the screen had turned greenish on the right side, the slot-loading drive refused to eject discs and a difficulty to boot up every time it was shut down.

So, rather than fix those problems, I figured it was time to invest in a new Mac. Besides, it was getting increasingly important to get a Mac with at least a CD-burner for backing up purposes (my iMac only had a DVD drive. Combo drives were unheard of back in 2001).

Also, I wanted a Mac that is portable in case I need to move to Sweden one of these days.

Hence Agnetha. It's pronounced "a-nyieh-ta". How did the name come about? It was named after my favourite ABBA member, Agnetha Faltskog.

Some people say Frida was the prettier of the two ABBA singers but I don't care. Agnetha had the nicer backside.

As for my iMac (which will forever hold a special place in my heart because it was my first Mac and becos it was almost the same age as my eldest son), I gave it a thorough clean-up and will soon give it a proper burial. I have no intention to sell it even if anyone is interested. It's a classic in my eyes. Remember that it was the last Mac built by Apple to feature a fan-less design, so it was as quiet as a whisper.




Rest in peace, my friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home