Saturday, October 27, 2007

What a perfect weekend it was!

And I'm referring to the weekend of October 20 and 21.

1. It was success all around at the Malaysian 24 Hour Comics Day. My friends who organised the event managed to get a full house participation. I finished my 24 pages of comic.
2. Kimi Raikkonen and his Ferrari team provided a most perfect ending to this year's F1 season.

I was previously a McLaren supporter but I switched camps this year. I had been supporting them so many years but with the exception of Hakkinen's world title some time ago, it was to no avail.

Interestingly, just as I swore allegiance to my new team, McLaren improved a lot this year. They had arguably the most reliable car on the grid. They had two of the most talented drivers working for them. They gave both these drivers equal treatment...

and that last bit proved to be their undoing. You can't let teammates fight it out. There has to be a bit of team order. Alonso should have been given preferrential treatment. He came to McLaren having done a swell job at Renault. He deserves some respect.

In the end, McLaren got nothing.

Come to think of it, maybe I was more of a driver supporter. First it was Hakkinen and when he left, Kimi came in just in time to fill the void. So when Kimi switched to Ferrari, I switched accordingly.

All in all, the manner in which Kimi won the championship -- leapfrogging the top two contenders at the very last GP -- is stuff legends are made of. This year's championship will be remembered for a very long time.


Participants at the Malaysian 24 Hour Comics Day, as seen from the third floor of Cineleisure Damansara. There are two empty seats in the picture. Can you guess which one is mine?

This year's 24 Hour Comics Day was held at the concourse area of Cineleisure so Cedric and Wong were able to seat us in a circle to form a clock. And the clock 'ticked' every hour from 1 to 24. It was cute and clever at the same time. I'll bet this was something they had dreamt of doing for quite some time!

I went into the challenge with basically the same strategy as last year's: go with an empty mind. No character, no story, no plan whatsoever. Just my pen and a stack of blank paper.

If I could do it last year, I could do it again this year. So I thought.

But I (made the mistake of picking) a subject that I was not familiar with: punctuality. Because of that, I lost the first two hours trying to create a character and to piece together a story out of thin air.

Dinner time came and by then, I was doubtful whether I would be able to finish this year’s 24 hour comic. I had done basically 4 pages, had a character called Punktual Punk, but apart from those, nothing much to show for.

It was pretty scary.

At that point of time however, I realised it was still within me to decide whether I could finish this challenge or not. I decided that yes, I would go all out to finish this year's challenge.

As with many things in life, it takes a decision to finish a 24 hour comic.

It helped that somebody bought me coffee just before midnight (you know who you are!) because after that coffee, everything became clear as to what I had to do. :)

In the end, I got my 24 pages. I wasn't happy with my story (it will not win the Pulitzer prize) but I achieved what I had set out to do.

Here's what I came up with at the event.






















18 Comments:

At 1:16 AM, Blogger Chrysalis said...

Salam Ridzwan, Faraheen here. The last time we met was when ur uni. challenged our team in a General Quiz COntest at IIUM Matric Centre, or was it a bit more later?

24 hours? Ehem, congrats for achieving what u have set to do that day..

Anyway, salam to ur wife.

 
At 4:06 AM, Blogger Ridzwan A. Rahim said...

oh hi faraheen! i didn't tell in the report that i met alifi at the 24 hour comics day. he also participated. wait.. alifi's from kisas, u're from smas. i'm getting a lil confused here.

yes, i remember IIUMMC. oh yes i do..

my wife? actually, we're no longer together. it happens.

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Chrysalis said...

Alamak.. sorry for not knowing of what's happening between u and her.

Alifi was my school mate back in primary days.

Looking fwd to c the cartoon that u drew in the programme.

BTW, u'll be coming to MASPUGAS right?

 
At 5:18 AM, Blogger Ridzwan A. Rahim said...

yes i'll be attending maspugas or whatever it is they call it. ;)

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger kluxorious said...

looking forward to see you comic strip

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Allan Koay said...

cant wait to see you strip! er, i mean your strip.

 
At 4:03 AM, Blogger Ifila Saila said...

aii... jejak kasih ke duwey & nonie? :) hang x habaq pun hang join progrm kat matrix uia dulu? hang represent mana?

i was the head graphic design 4 the PEKIMA's buletin. (Pesta Kreativiti & Intelektual Matrikulasi Malaysia). I designed the PEKIMA's logo. and i represented IIUMC theathre group.

I met faraheen but i missed u..!

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Chrysalis said...

Kalau dah sibuk sangat, mana nak perasan org lain ye tak? haha

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Ifila Saila said...

wei.. kita reporter buletin inteligensia la waktu tu..! merata pusing cari bahan utk publish dlm buletin yg kuar tiap2 hari tu. sibuk2 pun perasan la jgk org. lain lah org tu tahu kita kenal org lain tp x bgtau pun yg orang tu kenal orang lain tu dan orang lain tu ada skli join prog tu dgn orang dan orang tu... (?)

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Ridzwan A. Rahim said...

oh.. jejak kasih rupanya sedang berlaku di sini!

first of all, elok2 sikit sebut PEKIMA tu. karang.. ;)

alifi, aku masa tu masuk kuiz pengetahuan am, representing matrik UKM. in the end, we were tied with the matrik UPM team led by one mamak named Mahathir bin Mohamad (i am not making this up). the final question was pelabuhan yang terdalam di semenanjung malaysia (the answer was kemaman) which we lost. so dpt nombor 2.

oh yeah i remember buletin inteligensia. a hit during that one week! one particular girl got frequent mention in the buletin but i can't remember the name now (syahida something?).

who was 'mr loba-loba'?

aku tau kau menang peraduan cipta logo PEKIMA tu. aku pun masuk jugak. i was damn sure of a win tapi last2 habuk pun tarak. siot betul! korang ada pakai pengundi hantu ke apa?

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Chrysalis said...

hehe..

Kesian tak menang... tapi tak pe.
Ridzwan kalau pasal nama perempuan ingat saja..

BTW, saya tak tau korang kenal each other.. Alifi tu ingat KISAS tu kecik ke sume org kenal each other... or maybe since dia penyanyi sekolah dulu maybe sume org kenal dia la tu.. :)

 
At 1:28 AM, Blogger Ridzwan A. Rahim said...

ler.. memang kecik pun. small enough for all of us to know each other. yasin sulaiman pun sebelum jadi penyanyi masuk kisas jap masa tu tapi tahan seminggu aje, lepas tu balik maahad hamidiah.

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Ifila Saila said...

hahaha... yasin balik maahad pasal tak tahan kena ragging masa taaruf week! hehe. (yasin if u read this, sorry aa..)
mmg kisas tu kecik pun, infact matrix uia pun masih kategori kecik sbb kami msh boleh kenal org lain2 kuliyyah..
paling tak puas masuk uia org kata muka kita familiar, ada ka patut depa kata muka kita mcm yasin! klu mcm norman KRU tu ok la jgk!
duwey... kalu aku email aku punya 24hours komik kat hang, hang buleh buh kat blog hang ka?? participant lain buat apa dgn artwork depa tu??

 
At 5:22 AM, Blogger Ridzwan A. Rahim said...

boleh, boleh. email la ko punya 24hr comic tu. boleh share kat sini. i'll create a separate entry for it. then can talk more about old times. hope to attract other ex-kisas to this blog. we can have a virtual reunion. :)

p.s: faraheen, when i said someone who leads a boring life, i was referring to myself and no one else. just dont get me wrong ok. :)

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger Ifila Saila said...

duwey.. si faraheen mmg selalu intrepret something melangkaui batas pemikiran org lain, biasa la tu.. ada ke patut dia xnak publish aku punya comment dalam blog teh chrysantimum dia.. :( dia takut kena komen lebih2 kot.. :D

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger Chrysalis said...

tak ada salah interpretnye... Siapa kata org tak publish? kan dah publish tu!

 
At 11:58 PM, Blogger Chrysalis said...

Ehh Ridzwan.. of course I know u r referring it to urself (haha no offence ok) although I'm not quite sure why, or how u interpret life as boring...

 
At 3:39 AM, Blogger Ifila Saila said...

duwey.. kawan chrysantimum kita dh buat blog dh ker? hang kalau free mai la tgok website aku http://www.motivasi-insaniah.com
dan meriahkanlah forum aku http://motivasi-insaniah.com/forum/
open to any discussion & suggestion... TQ

 

Post a Comment

<< Home