Thursday, April 17, 2008

Oh that's original.

Now you've heard of the Nigerian e-mail scam. Maybe you have received the e-mail before. Well yesterday, I received the following e-mail.

See what got my attention was the subject. I actually opened the e-mail and read it before realising that oh God, this is one of those e-mails.

From: (e-mail withheld)
Subject: Assalamualaikum

From Mrs. Almirah Ahmed.
Center De Santa Bethesda Hospital
83BP: 1730 Gbejromede
Cotonou Benin Republic

Assalamualaikum,

It is with tears and pains that I write this mail from my sick bed in a hospital. I believe you have never met such a condition before. My name is Mrs.Almira Ahmed, widow to late Mr. Khalid Ahmed, former owner of PETROLEUM AND GAS Company, here in Benin Republic. I am 68 years old, suffering from long time cancer of the breast. From all indications my condition is really deteriorating and it's quite obvious that I won't live more than 2 months according to my doctors. This is because the cancer stage has gotten to a very bad stage. I don't want your pity me, but I need your trust.

My late husband died in December 2003 in a plane crash in Benin.

During the period of our marriage we couldn't produce any child. My late husband was very wealthy and after his death, I inherited all his business and wealth. The doctor has advised me that I will not live for more than 2 months, so I have now decided to spread all my wealth, to contribute mainly to the development of charity in Africa, America, Asia and Europe. Am sorry if you are embarrassed by my mail.

I found your e-mail address as a real Child of God for over a month now that I have been investigating about you to know if really you are working according to the direction of God so after all my investigation I am convince, and I have decided to contact you, but if for any reason you find this mail offensive, you can ignore it and please accept my apology before my late husband died he was a major oil tycoon, in Benin and deposited the sum of US$3 Million (Three Million Dollars only) in Asia years ago, That's all I have left now, I need your help to collect this funds and distribute it yourself to charity homes.So that when I die my soul will rest in peace.

The funds will be entirely in hands and management hope God gives you the wisdom to touch very many lives that is my main concern. 20% of this fund will be for your time and effort, while 80% goes to charity. Please you can reply with this email (e-mail withheld).

God bless you.
Mrs.Almira Ahmed


The thing is, I got the e-mail hours after I updated my Facebook profile to include Islam as one of my interests. You say, could there be a connection? Maybe. I have been visiting Islam Online a lot. There are probably bots on my PC or the Internet tracking my browsing habits.

Maybe it was the work of a Muslim bot.

And guess what? Something similar happened on my phone - TODAY. I sent out a joke SMS. I fully support an immediate n smooth power transfer in UMNO. Pak Lah shud step down as PM... and Najib shud be made Opposition Leader! Muahahahaha!

The next thing I knew, I got an SMS from 26000: Dapatkan berita tempatan terkini termasuk berita politik, perniagaan, ekonomi, dadada..

1 Comments:

At 6:43 PM, Blogger xenobiologista said...

OK the SMS is kind of scary.

But the email is probably just coincidence. I have a "dirty" email account that I use to sign up for things that may result in being spammed, and I get emails invoking the name of any god you can think of (OKlah just kidding, they've mostly been appeals from fake Christians or fake Muslims.)

By the way, you should change your Facebook privacy setting if you think spammers are skimming your email from there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home