Sunday, May 11, 2008

Chris got married

My friend Chris got married yesterday. I know because I was at his wedding.

This is Chris Chong, I must add. I have quite a number of Chrises for my friend. Chris Chong, Christian K, Christian Berg. They tend to Chris Cross so I do have to be specific sometimes.

The Chris who got married was formerly of Star's In-Tech. Back when we were both in tech journalism, we shared a common interest in Macs. I think we still do.

I went to Macworld San Francisco with him in 2005. It was a trip that I will remember for a very long time.

Chris met and fell in love with Elaine Ho fairly recently, I was told. May last year he proposed to her on Mount Kinabalu. Nothing new there, I'm sure many guys have proposed on top of Mount Kinabalu before. But what was weird about their story is how they never ran into each other despite:

1. living just 5 minutes from each other in PJ
2. Elaine being a friend of Chris' brother since they were kids
3. and a few other mutual friends/connections that I am now unable to tell you because they forgot to give me the Press kit on the wedding day.

One day, one of these mutual friends asked him out for a game of basketball. There, he met this particular girl who plays basketball against the guys. "I must have her!" he said and things moved pretty quickly from there.

What struck me about the marriage is that it seems to be a coming together of two very happy individuals. While I can't say I know Elaine, I have known Chris for quite some time as a journalist and there was never a moment when life was just going through the motions. He was always trying new things, giving 100 percent at work and was always enthusiastic about something.

Chris if you are reading this, I remember clearly what it was like when we first set foot at Macworld SF: I wanted to dance in front of Moscone Centre and kiss the ground beneath my feet for the opportunity that God had given me. Well, today it's more or less the same feeling. I'm very happy for the two of you and that is an understatement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home